[OmniOS-discuss] issue 8984 (fix for 6764 breaks ACL inheritance)

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Feb 16 20:11:03 UTC 2018

After we upgraded to the latest version of OmniOSce, switching from the last
OmniTI LTS release, we ran into a fairly big problem with ACL inheritance,
which results in unexpectedly insecure file permissions :(.

After a short discussion on the ZFS developer mailing list:

https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/zfs/discussions/Te5cbb71851130ac1-M486e4
bd93
ace9f7314003f66

We determined this was a problem introduced by issue 6764, and I opened a
new issue regarding it:

https://www.illumos.org/issues/8984

I asked on the ZFS developer mailing list if anyone might be willing to
spend a little time fixing this regression:

https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/zfs/T821c96dfa2b1306d-M13ef4f3ea9d83b7f3
91859a1

but I haven't heard anything. It should be fairly simple, just adding back
in a little bit of logic the previous change took out; however, I don't
currently have an up-to-date build environment and would rather not have the
overhead of putting that together right now just for this little fix.

Are there perhaps any OmniOS developers who might be kind enough to squash
this for us? We are getting a lot of complaints from users and potentially
leaking sensitive information because of it.

Thanks much.