[OmniOS-discuss] Update error

Andries Annema an3s.annema at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 19:38:36 UTC 2018

Hi guys,

Trying to update a r151022 (test)system with a number of lipkg and lx
zones to the latest r151022al version, using "pkg update -nv", but it
fails with:

<quote>
Planning linked: 1/7 done; 1 working: zone:<zonename>
Linked progress: -pkg: update failed (linked image exception(s)):

A '*sync-linked*' operation failed for child 'zone:<zonename>' with an
unexpected
return value of 1 and generated the following output:
pkg: 0/1 catalogs successfully updated:

The content of the catalog for publisher 'omnios' doesn't match the
catalog's attributes.  This is likely the result of a mix of older and
newer catalog files being provided for the publisher.
</quote>

When I instead run "pkg update -nrv", it fails with almost the same message:

<quote>
Planning linked: 1/7 done; 1 working: zone:<zonename>
Linked progress: |pkg: update failed (linked image exception(s)):

A '*update*' operation failed for child 'zone:<zonename>' with an unexpected
return value of 1 and generated the following output:
pkg: 0/1 catalogs successfully updated:

The content of the catalog for publisher 'omnios' doesn't match the
catalog's attributes.  This is likely the result of a mix of older and
newer catalog files being provided for the publisher.
</quote>

Google-ing for this issue does give some reports, but mostly of age and
a clear solution - at least to me - doesn't seem available.
I have never before updated this system - since I installed this test-VM
last summer - not from the GZ, nor from within any NGZ.
Funny thing is that not every zone leads to such an error; for at least
one other zone a nice update plan was reported before it bailed out on
the next zone with the error quoted above.

Other than destroying each zone for which it reports this error, any
thoughts on how to solve this issue?
In the past, I've never had such issues with ipkg zones; I may be doing
something wrong with these lipkg zones.

Cheers,
Andries