[OmniOS-discuss] Poor read performance on fresh zpool

gijs at in2ip.nl gijs at in2ip.nl
Thu Jun 14 17:24:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

on a OmniosCE r151022 system we have rebuild our zfs pool. The pool is
constructed out of 18 mirror vdevs, each consisting of 2 1,8TB SAS
drives. Since about half the disks are 512b and the other half are 512e
(physical 4k) we opted to use 4k sectors using sd.conf for all devices;
thus all vdevs report as ashift 12. During testing today we experienced
extremely poor read performance. Doing sequential reads with dd of the
pool results in a read rate of 300MB/s, benchmarking with bonnie++ gives
about 600MB/s
Write performance is as expected, around 1,4GB/s.
Scrub also performs as expected, zpool status shows a scrub speed of
2GB/s, iostat -x shows a total pool speed of 4GB/s.

Any hints as to what might be causing our poor read performance?

Sincerely,

Gijs Peskens