[OmniOS-discuss] CIFS access denied to some users from AD

Piotr Kaminski pkam at bloom.pl
Sat May 26 17:57:01 UTC 2018

Hi Everybody,

My OmniOSce CIFS server is joined to AD domain (based on Samba 4 from
Ubuntu). A few days ago some client computers where updated to Win 10
1803 and two users started complaining they cannot access the CIFS
share. I have checked everything and cannot find the problem.

  * There is ACL rule for a "employees" AD group allowing access for the
    members,
  * there are about 20 members and only 2 of them have problem,
  * the two accounts CAN  connect to another Windows machine via RDP and
    are authorized by AD DC (I even changed passwords to check and still
    can connect with the new passwords),
  * the two accounts cannot access the CIFS share from OmniIOSce server.

When I try to access the server from Ubuntu machine I get the following
with "good_user":

    # smbclient -U good_user -L //omnios
    Enter test11's password:
    Domain=[DOMAIN_NAME] OS=[SunOS 5.11 omnios-r151026-673c5] Server=[Native SMB service]

            Sharename       Type      Comment
            ---------       ----      -------
            public          Disk
            c$              Disk      Default Share
            test1           Disk
            test2           Disk
            ipc$            IPC       Remote IPC
            test            Disk
    Domain=[DOMAIN_NAME] OS=[SunOS 5.11 omnios-r151026-673c5] Server=[Native SMB service]

            Server               Comment
            ---------            -------

            Workgroup            Master
            ---------            -------

and with "bad_user" I get

    # smbclient -U bad_user -L //omnios
    Enter bad_user's password:
    session setup failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I cannot see any difference between the users. They are members of the
same AD groups. Even the password is the same! It seems like //omnios
does not like the two users (or cannot authorize them). As a workaround
I created two new accounts and they work as a charm. But that is just a
temporary  workaround.

I'd be grateful for a hint where to look for the mistake.

With regards

--
Piotr