[OmniOS-discuss] Packages for OminOS??

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Dec 10 16:52:14 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Denis Cheong <denis at denisandyuki.net> wrote:
> And don't forget opencsw as well, these packages tend to be more out of the box ready than those on ms.

OpenCSW still uses SVR4 packages.  OmniOS ships the SVR4 tools
(pkgadd, etc.) but there is no integration between SVR4 and IPS
packages.  OpenCSW tends to be pretty self-contained, so it shouldn't
be too much of an issue, but realize that you now have two different
lists of packages that are totally unaware of each other.

> For example, apache in ms still needs a lot of configuration before you can get it up and serving pages.

It's pretty difficult to ship a config that works for everyone. ;)
Apache is a complex app.  If you just want to serve some static files,
there are easier ways (like lighttpd!) If your needs are more complex,
more knowledge will be required to configure things appropriately.
That's natural.  Also note that ms.omniti.com's Apache features DTrace
integration that isn't available in mainline Apache 2.2.  :)

That said, the build system is open too, so if you wanted to offer
your own IPS-based Apache build with what you feel is a good starting
config, please do.  I would like to build out the list of available
third-party IPS repos at http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Packaging ,
so anyone willing to share their repos, please email me off-list and
I'll get them added.

Eric