[OmniOS-discuss] Packages for OminOS??

Denis Cheong denis at denisandyuki.net
Mon Dec 10 17:11:06 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Eric Sproul <esproul at omniti.com> wrote:

> > For example, apache in ms still needs a lot of configuration before you
> can get it up and serving pages.
>
> It's pretty difficult to ship a config that works for everyone. ;)
> Apache is a complex app.  If you just want to serve some static files,
> there are easier ways (like lighttpd!) If your needs are more complex,
> more knowledge will be required to configure things appropriately.
> That's natural.  Also note that ms.omniti.com's Apache features DTrace
> integration that isn't available in mainline Apache 2.2.  :)

As an example, the ms.omniti.com apache has all of its directories
configured to /www/... as the starting point, with a whole bunch of
subdirectories off that, none of which are created in the install package,
and none of which are documented in any guide on 'what to do next to get up
and running' - so you have to go through the config file itself and figure
out what it's expecting, examine the logs to find out why it isn't starting
up, etc...  It also expects depends on other packages that aren't available
/ installed (like the logrotate stuff) that you have to comment out before
it will start ... the service isn't installed automatically, so you also
have to find the xml file and import that into SMF manually.

Similar story with MySQL from ms.omniti.com as well...

Not a massive criticism, it forces me to learn how it all fits together and
why it doesn't "just work" ... but also, it doesn't "just work" ...

For me, a basic functional configuration out of the box would be fine ...

What would be nice is a simple way to get the basic webserving components
installed and functional without too much effort - i.e. Apache / PHP /
MySQL.  Or even a howto guide ...