[OmniOS-discuss] is it possible to run omnios inside a linux kvm virtual environment

Thomas Werschlein thomas.werschlein at geo.uzh.ch
Mon Dec 17 04:58:56 EST 2012

Hi Naxto

Maybe I am chasing a similar problem. We experience extremely slow GRUB disk I/O (strace shows that reads are done in 512 byte chunks only) starting with qemu-kvm-1.0 (Ubuntu 12.04).

You can trace down the culprit by entering the GRUB shell upon boot and issue the GRUB commands manually:

bootfs rpool/ROOT/omnios
kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B $ZFS-BOOTFS,disable-ehci=true,disable-uhci=true -v
module$ /platform/i86pc/$ISADIR/boot_archive

In our environment, entering the last line above (loading the boot_archive) suddenly takes about 10 minutes! During that time you only see a blinking cursor.
Then you can issue "boot" and the startup process runs at normal speed. (BTW: the "disable-ehci=true,disable-uhci=true" options prevent the nagging "No SOF Interrupts have been received, this USB UHCI host controller is unusable." warnings. Has nothing to do with the problem at hand.)

We didn't experience this problem with qemu-kvm-0.12.3 (Ubuntu 10.04). And it turns out that the problem is not OmniOS specific either: we have the same issues with Solaris 11 (we are migrating from Sol11 to OmniOS right now).

To see what's going on during boot, you can comment the splashscreen, background and foreground directives in /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst (given, the system boots at all ...)

As a workaround we also converted the boot_archive from an UFS disk image to an ISO image, reducing the boot lag from 10 minutes to 2 minutes:

# install mkisofs
% pkg install cdrtools

# update-archive creates an ISO image, as soon as mkisofs is found in the PATH
% bootadm update-archive -v -f

Regards,
Thomas Werschlein