[OmniOS-discuss] puzzlingly slow disk access

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 17:50:13 EST 2012

I'm trying to nail down extremely poor NFS and even local disk access.

Sun Fire X2250, dual SATA 7200 RPM 250 GiB, thus:

	root at world:~# zpool status
	  pool: rpool
	 state: ONLINE
	  scan: resilvered 180G in 3h19m with 0 errors on Sun Dec 30 16:01:08 2012
	config:

	        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
	          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	            c3d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	            c4d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

	errors: No known data errors

Even that resilvering looks slow to me.  Now I know this isn't a definitive test but

	dd if=15GiBVDIfile of=copy bs=10240k

copies at 9.7 MB/s.  Surely that's around 1/6th of what it should be ?  That's in either the global or a child zone.