[OmniOS-discuss] Trying to install perl5161

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Dec 31 09:54:44 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Theo Schlossnagle <jesus at omniti.com> wrote:

> Given the error message, it looks like you are trying upgrade from 151004
> to 151005.  This is an upgrade, not an "install"

Nevertheless, before the next stable release, we will need to work out a
suitable upgrade path for the system perl packages.  I imagine we'll need
to use the pkg.renamed property to allow an upgrade to move the perl
packages over.  Additionally, we should stop embedding the Perl version in
the package name.  That would present fewer barriers to upgrade (and is, in
fact, how we operate our non-system version in ms.omniti.com).  IIRC we
simply carried forward the "perl-<ver>" naming convention from OI.  Since
we only need/want a single system version of perl, it doesn't make much
sense to continue that convention.

Thoughts?