[OmniOS-discuss] pkg update and omnios repos

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Wed Oct 17 08:37:35 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Paul Jochum
<paul.jochum at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
>     Wanted to ask some questions on the OmniOS package repo:
>
> 1) As new stable OmniOS releases are published, are the new packages added
> to the omnios repo, so that a pkg update command would update a system to
> the latest stable release?

Yes.

> 2) Is there some plan on when the omnios repo is updated?  For example, are
> all of the changed packages installed simultaneously into the OmniOS repo,
> or do they trickle in over a long time span?

They are received in over a short period of time.  We may be changing
this to be atomic in the near future.

> 3) Will there be announcements when the omnios repo is updated?

There are release announcements on the wiki.  I believe they are only
for the stable release.  For bloody, you'd need to follow the commits
on the illumos-omnios and omnios-build repos.

> 3) If I install the bloody release, can I add (or maybe it is already added,
> I haven't tried it yet), the omnios repo?

I choose to answer the second (3). bloody and omnios/release have 100%
overlap. It would be challenging to add both, as they use the same
publisher.

> 4) Will there be a repo for bloody releases?

There is. It is linked from the main wiki page.  Keep in mind that
bloody is more of a continual release process.

> 5) If I do image a system with the bloody release, and add the omnios repo,
> and do a package update, (assuming I wait till the repo is updated to
> something beyond what is already installed on my server), will the update
> than put me back in the stable line, or will it be something else (somewhere
> between stable and bloody?)

bloody will always be newer than stable, so once you go bloody, it
will be rather challenging to go back until the next stable release.

It *should* be the case that if you were to intall bloody today, then
switch the publisher url to the new stable release (due in few weeks),
it would upgrade correctly.

> thanks in advance for the answers,
>
> Paul

Theo Schlossnagle