[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] Irregularly scheduled SSD survey :)

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Tue Apr 9 19:08:06 EDT 2013

On Apr 9, 2013, at 3:26 PM, Chris Nagele <nagele at wildbit.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for posting the review. I am always curious about what everyone uses.
>
> While they are older, I know that a lot of people still use the Intel
> 320s since it has power loss protection. I don't know much about the
> S3700. We have used both DDRDrive and ZeusRAM and will never go back
> to an SSD for zil.

Lots and lots of experience with ZeusRAMs.  Nice devices, and the SAS capability makes them one of the few good choices for a shared storage cluster.

DDRdrive's are interesting and blazingly fast, but suffer from their form-factor and lack of clustering capability.  The lack of onboard power protection makes them a poor choice if you cannot meet their requirement for an external reliable power source.  (They have an external wall wart with a small power cable going to them.  Not very enterprisey, but still damned fast.

	- Garrett