[OmniOS-discuss] ZIL partition size

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Wed Apr 24 12:30:39 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Fábio Rabelo
<fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br> wrote:
> Hi to all ... and thanks in advance ...
>
> I believe it is a simple question, there are a recommended and/or minimum
> size to a disk/partition to store ZIL logs ?!?

Google is your friend.

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#Separate_Log_Devices

"For a target throughput of X MB/sec and given that ZFS pushes
transaction groups every 5 seconds (and have 2 outstanding), we also
expect the ZIL to not grow beyond X MB/sec * 10 sec. So to service
100MB/sec of synchronous writes, 1 GB of log device should be
sufficient."

So it depends highly on the amount of sync writes you expect in your workload.