[OmniOS-discuss] Hello world, and some newcomers questions :)

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Fri Aug 2 15:20:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I decided to give OmniOS a practical shot - or at least try something
> other than glare at it from a distance; but one aspect that is not yet
> clear to me - even after reading the installation docs, blogs, etc. -
> is a simple question: how different is it (for OS administration) from
> OpenIndiana?

That's a subjective question.  I'd imagine it looks quite similar to some
and starkly different to others.

>   From the docs and examples I see that the CLI syntax for network and
> zone management is quite the same, packaging seems to be IPS, though the
> installers are somewhat different - but hey, you only need them once in
> a lifetime, and I know too well how imperfect Caiman is for my taste ;)
>
>   So, in layman's terms for a newcomer to this platform - can it be said
> that OmniOS is like OI, only without desktop aspirations and with more
> frequent updates (in bloody at least)? Can the two OSes be noticeably
> distinguished while using them for server tasks via SSH or serial
> consoles? On a side note, does OmniOS still include *some* X11 good
> enough to fire up a VNC server for some of those programs which do
> require a graphics interface but need nothing fancy (some enterprise
> software installers, java consoles, etc.)

No shipped X at all, not enough to run X stuff in anyway.  You can,
however, get X pkgs from pkgsrc.

>   Similarly, is there enough relation between the two (OmniOS and OI)
> so as to be able to easily migrate from one to another by changing the
> package repo provider and updating a new BE, or are things too diverged
> for that? :)

Nope. Too different for that.  You can image-create into a new BE, but
that's certainly not an update.

>   Can the OmniOS package repositories be easily cloned (and/or built)
> in order to have a replica in (closed) LAN - like can be done for OI?

Yes. pkgrecv them.

>   If I build my own ZFS-root image for the networked installer, can it
> involve a hierarchy of several datasets or just one root FS dataset?

Not as a baked in feature, but there is post-install scripting available
and you could easily make that happen without modifying kayak. (just zfs
recv the extra data sets over the network after the rpool is recv'd).  I
think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the simplicity and power of kayak.

--

Theo Schlossnagle

http://omniti.com/is/theo-schlossnagle