[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] pkgsrc-2013Q2 binary packages for illumos now available

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Aug 3 07:44:50 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-03 09:29, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> No, it would be more correct to have a real /usr/bin/od command on the
> system, even if it's just a symlink to /usr/gnu/bin/od - not having one
> is just asking to break scripts.  I'm not going to take a long convoluted
> hack upstream at X.Org to work around such incompatible behavior for one
> distro.

I see, thanks for the reply.

Well, *if* OmniOS indeed (again, I did not yet try it in practice)
does not provide even a symlink at "standard" Solarisish locations,
especially if it provides the binary anyway, this is the problem to
fix. However I might envision a scenario like what happened with
OpenSolaris and later OI, where the GNU userland got priority in
default PATHs and sometimes was incompatible with Solaris equivalent
commands in either command-line switches or parsable output, which
could make interactive admins' life uneasy and old scripts - broken.

Though for exactly that particular case, just fixing the PATH back
helped ;) in cases similar to that, the hacks like mine might help...

//Jim