[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] pkgsrc-2013Q2 binary packages for illumos now available

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sat Aug 3 10:08:08 UTC 2013

Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 08/ 2/13 11:55 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> >    : Also on OmniOS 'od' is located in a different location
> >    $ sed -i -e 's,/usr/bin/od,/usr/gnu/bin/od,' /opt/local/bin/startx
> >
> >    I believe (didn't try yet) that /opt/local/bin/startx is a script;
>
> It is.
>
> > wouldn't it be more correct to have it handle setting the proper
> > environment - either as force-prepending its PATH defaults (and
> > not using full paths to commands), or perhaps defining variables
> > for the full paths to binaries?
>
> No, it would be more correct to have a real /usr/bin/od command on the
> system, even if it's just a symlink to /usr/gnu/bin/od - not having one
> is just asking to break scripts.  I'm not going to take a long convoluted
> hack upstream at X.Org to work around such incompatible behavior for one
> distro.

I don't understand why where is a problem.

There is a POSIXly correct, fast and SunOS compatible OSS "od" implementation
in SchilliX-ON since 31 months. The visible difference to the closed source
SunOS version is that it is much faster, that it does not implement the
obvious bugs from the SunOS implementation and that /usr/xpg4/bin/od is a hard
link to /usr/bin/od as it implements the XPG4 differences at runtime.

I can understand that people don't like to include the bugy od from Illumos,
but there is a real OSS alternative licensed under the CDDL.

Let me repeat my proposal from Thursday:

It seems that we need to set up some kind of register about who is working on
what for OpenSolaris in order to work against the negative effects of the
fragmentation of the OpenSolaris development.

Jörg