[OmniOS-discuss] [!! SPAM] Re: HA for ZFS on OmniOS

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 17:18:48 UTC 2013

On 8/11/13 5:52 PM, Alexandre NEY wrote:
> I guess we are between the DIY and full hassle free solution ;) We are a Linux / FreeBSD shop so some concepts are familiar and some others..well.. it's different.
>
> The truth is we tried Nexenta but their licensing costs just skyrocket when you go up in the TBs forcing you to go all platinum / diamond and being a service provider that didn't quite fit our business model.
>
> In any case, I'll give a shot at the open source solution in our lab.

Ah, I see. Well, if you guys have Linux/*BSD experience, picking up
OmniOS won't be much work. 95% of the basic tools work the same, and
there really is only a handful of concepts that differ. From an ops
perspective, the largest difference is SMF, the init replacement. It can
seem daunting at first, but the general idea is fairly simple and there
are pre-built manifests and method scripts available on the net, so most
of the time I myself just grab something that's done and adapt.

Cheers,
--
Saso