[OmniOS-discuss] Mellanox Infiniband 2x 10Gbps MHEL-CF128-TC

Thibault VINCENT thibault.vincent at smartjog.com
Sat Aug 17 23:27:20 UTC 2013

> Do you guys have preferred Intel 10 GbE NIC models for small
> installations, that are on the cheaper side?

We're using these cards everywhere with Linux and it works like a charm, under high bandwidth or high pkts/s loads. They have nice offloading features and load is well spread over CPU cores.
SFP+ twinax cables are great and cheap but are limited in length, and I would discourage you to use the longest, 5 meters at most.
If you go with fiber you'll need a special reference for the cards because Intel is locking up the cheapest. Using Intel optic module is not required (most drivers have a parameter to let them accept any brand).

Cheers

--
Thibault VINCENT - Infrastructure Engineer
SmartJog | T: +33 1 5868 6238