[OmniOS-discuss] Mellanox Infiniband 2x 10Gbps MHEL-CF128-TC

Thibault VINCENT thibault.vincent at smartjog.com
Sun Aug 18 01:23:28 UTC 2013

> Don't know if you mentioned this elsewhere, but what specific cards
> have you had good experience under Illumos using? And I would
> probably go with copper cables. Thanks.

Well I mentioned this was a Linux experience because illumos is
sort of new grounds, but I'm happy with network performance so far
with this kernel and Intel 10Ge. We've made them our standard, it's
the X520 familly with various form factors (dual SFP+ PCIe, or
dual KR in Dell blade server). On OmniOS boxes I've used up to two
cards to make four ports LACP aggregations to a switch.

If you go with copper you've got up to 10 meters on twinax cables,
but Intel is making an RJ45 version which we didn't test but the
link can reach 100 meters on really good cables (you'll need to
upgrade patch panels to CAT6 if it's not a single cable from
end to end).

Cheers

--
Thibault VINCENT - Infrastructure Engineer
SmartJog | T: +33 1 5868 6238