[OmniOS-discuss] How bad are these controller / io errors??

steve at linuxsuite.org steve at linuxsuite.org
Mon Aug 19 16:37:09 UTC 2013

SNIP

>> c5t5000C50045561CEAd0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 1 Transport Errors: 7
>> Vendor: ATA      Product: ST3000DM001-9YN1 Revision: CC4H Serial No:
>> W1F09G4Q
>> Size: 3000.59GB <3000592982016 bytes>
>> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 1 Recoverable: 0
>> Illegal Request: 1 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
>
> Something is sick. Unfortunately, it could be one of the many SATA devices
> causing disruptions to everyone else -- a good reason to not directly
> attach
> SATA devices to SAS expanders. Tracking these down and eliminating a bug
> in the expander itself, is a tedious task. Is there anything in the JBOD
> other than
> the Seagate 3TBs?
>  -- richard

     Thanks Richard...

     There are 11 Seagate 3T SATA drives on a single backplane.  10
in a RAIDZ-2 and a hot spare. There are no other devices in the JBOD.
ZIL is on a separate SSD in a DELL chassis

     So a couple of questions

    i) If there is a single device that has a "large" number of errors
        compared to the other devices, then perhaps this device is
       messing up the others? So swapping it out could solve the problem?

   ii) If I had the SATA devices behind SATA port multipliers, will I
       have the same issues? ie. a single bad device will mess up the others?

   iii) Does OmniOS even support SATA HBA connected to SATA port multipliers?

      Perhaps tracking errors on devices will allow for preventative
action...

     thanx - steve