[OmniOS-discuss] How bad are these controller / io errors??

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Mon Aug 19 17:16:31 UTC 2013

Hi Steve,

On Aug 19, 2013, at 9:37 AM, steve at linuxsuite.org wrote:

> SNIP
>>>
>>> c5t5000C50045561CEAd0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 1 Transport Errors: 7
>>> Vendor: ATA      Product: ST3000DM001-9YN1 Revision: CC4H Serial No:
>>> W1F09G4Q
>>> Size: 3000.59GB <3000592982016 bytes>
>>> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 1 Recoverable: 0
>>> Illegal Request: 1 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
>>
>> Something is sick. Unfortunately, it could be one of the many SATA devices
>> causing disruptions to everyone else -- a good reason to not directly
>> attach
>> SATA devices to SAS expanders. Tracking these down and eliminating a bug
>> in the expander itself, is a tedious task. Is there anything in the JBOD
>> other than
>> the Seagate 3TBs?
>> -- richard
>
>     Thanks Richard...
>
>     There are 11 Seagate 3T SATA drives on a single backplane.  10
> in a RAIDZ-2 and a hot spare. There are no other devices in the JBOD.
> ZIL is on a separate SSD in a DELL chassis
>
>     So a couple of questions
>
>    i) If there is a single device that has a "large" number of errors
>        compared to the other devices, then perhaps this device is
>       messing up the others? So swapping it out could solve the problem?

In my experience, no. The exact errors and their timeline matters.
Coincidently, I am looking at methods to approach this problem :-)
I'll contact you off-alias for details.

>   ii) If I had the SATA devices behind SATA port multipliers, will I
>       have the same issues? ie. a single bad device will mess up the others?

Port multipliers are evil, I avoid them at all costs.

The successful solutions I have seen work are, in no particular order:
	1. pay the extra $10 and get the SAS version of the disk
	2. pay $30 and get a SAS-SATA interposer, hopefully your carrier can accommodate
	3. go direct, get a backplane without an expander (eg Supermicro TQ series)

 -- richard

>   iii) Does OmniOS even support SATA HBA connected to SATA port multipliers?
>
>      Perhaps tracking errors on devices will allow for preventative
> action...
>
>     thanx - steve
>

>> --
>>
>> ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com