[OmniOS-discuss] How bad are these controller / io errors??

steve at linuxsuite.org steve at linuxsuite.org
Mon Aug 19 23:25:43 UTC 2013

> Can't agree more here. Desktop firmwares are designed to try harder to
> never return an error.  While this is what home users want, it's an
> anathema to large configurations with redundancy where you would prefer to
> just get the error so you can handle it - usually by doing the op on
> another drive.
>
> Use enterprise drives if you love your data and your ability to access it.

        Yes I know, I know....  Desktop hardware sucks. Didn't know there was
Enterprise (ie none Desktop) SATA. Perhaps the solution is to  partition
the data and do "deep" storage that never gets read on large bulk SATA and
then have a smaller SAS pool for the often read/written stuff.

      Anyway, large storage rollouts will always be looking for
the cheapest solution. Even if it isn't perfect. I do backups
to a SATA pool (behind SAS expanders) with zfs send,.. no problems errors
whatever YET!!
(cross fingers)

       -steve