[OmniOS-discuss] How bad are these controller / io errors??

Garrett D'Amore garrett.damore at dey-sys.com
Tue Aug 20 01:33:11 UTC 2013

SATA drives behind SAS expanders have a pathological error case.  If a drive encounters errors and it needs to be reset then the entire set of drives will take the reset.  If any io is in flight this will error as a result often causing another reset.  The result can best be described as a cascade failure.

There may be things software can do to mitigate this but experience is that it doesn't.

So just because the array is working fine now does not mean that it won't fail tragically when the first problems occur.

I have personal experience with this failure mode.

As a result I strongly discourage the use of SATA drives unless they are directly connected to the hba without any expanders or port multipliers.

You ignore this advice at your own risk.  Don't penny pinch on the drives   It ALWAYS costs you in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone