[OmniOS-discuss] Possible to run desktop applications via ssh -X or similar?

Valrhona valrhona at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 09:56:14 UTC 2013

Thanks for the note. I have xauth installed on the server, and running
'which xauth' gives:
/opt/local/bin/xauth

running 'echo $DISPLAY' gives nothing. So something is not configured correctly.

In /etc/ssh/sshd_config, I have:

# X11 tunneling options
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost yes

running ssh -v -X gives:

Sun_SSH_1.5, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090818f
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version Sun_SSH_1.5
debug1: match: Sun_SSH_1.5 pat Sun_SSH_1.5*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-Sun_SSH_1.5
debug1: use_engine is 'yes'
debug1: pkcs11 engine initialized, now setting it as default for RSA,
DSA, and symmetric ciphers
debug1: pkcs11 engine initialization complete
debug1: Failed to acquire GSS-API credentials for any mechanisms (No
credentials were supplied, or the credentials were unavailable or
inaccessible
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
ddebug1: We proposed langtags, ctos: en-US
debug1: We proposed langtags, stoc: en-US
debug1: Negotiated lang: en-US
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: Remote: Negotiated main locale: en_US.UTF-8
debug1: Remote: Negotiated messages locale: en_US.UTF-8
debug1: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 126/256
debug1: bits set: 1619/3191
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: bits set: 1564/3191
debug1: set_newkeys: setting new keys for 'out' mode
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: set_newkeys: setting new keys for 'in' mode
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: done: ssh_kex2.
debug1: send SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST
debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-keyex
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
debug1: Failed to acquire GSS-API credentials for any mechanisms (No
credentials were supplied, or the credentials were unavailable or
inaccessible
Password:
debug1: Authentication succeeded (keyboard-interactive)
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: send channel open 0
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
debug1: channel request 0: env
debug1: channel request 0: pty-req
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel request 0: x11-req
debug1: channel request 0: shell
debug1: fd 4 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug1: Remote: Channel 0 set: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
debug1: Remote: No xauth program; cannot forward with spoofing.
Last login: Thu Aug 22 01:57:31 2013 from dellt710
OmniOS 5.11     omnios-8d266aa  2013.05.04

So it says that xauth isn't installed, even though it is, and in the PATH.

What stupid thing am I still doing that prevents this from working?

Thanks!

Peter