[OmniOS-discuss] Possible to run desktop applications via ssh -X or similar?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Aug 23 11:07:07 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-23 11:56, Valrhona wrote:
> Thanks for the note. I have xauth installed on the server, and running
> 'which xauth' gives:
> /opt/local/bin/xauth

Possibly /opt/local/bin/ is not in your global PATH (i.e. the sshd
server does not know it should search there)? As a simple workaround
which may work, symlink xauth into a common path like /usr/bin...

> running 'echo $DISPLAY' gives nothing. So something is not configured correctly.

See (with "netstat -an | grep 60" for example) if the X11 ports were
forwarded and are open? By default, 6000 is DISPLAY=0, plus one for
each new display. So if you see say 6002, then your SSH client tried
to define a DISPLAY=2. Set and export this value in the resulting
shell (with -X forwarding or plain TCP forwarding if permitted) and
see if it helps you remote-execute graphics stuff.

HTH,
//Jim