[OmniOS-discuss] Possible to run desktop applications via ssh -X or similar?

Valrhona valrhona at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 22:07:15 UTC 2013

> See (with "netstat -an | grep 60" for example) if the X11 ports were
> forwarded and are open? By default, 6000 is DISPLAY=0, plus one for
> each new display. So if you see say 6002, then your SSH client tried
> to define a DISPLAY=2. Set and export this value in the resulting
> shell (with -X forwarding or plain TCP forwarding if permitted) and
> see if it helps you remote-execute graphics stuff.
So neither 6000 or anything 600* pops up when I run this command.

> Unless you have built your own sshd you'll need to have
> xauth (or a symlink) in /usr/X11/bin
There isn't a directory of /usr/X11

So I am assuming there are some packages that I am missing? I
basically followed the instructions to get gnome working (which also
doesn't start on this machine)

http://www.perkin.org.uk/posts/whats-new-in-pkgsrc-2013Q2.html

But I am also running this on OmniOS stable 151006. Do I need bloody
to get this to run? If so, can I just switch repositories and update
the packages, and keep my old stable version in a BE? Thanks!

Peter