[OmniOS-discuss] group membership trouble (ngroups_max)

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Jun 10 18:25:11 EDT 2013

Ira,

Yesterday Ira Cooper wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:
>
> > On 6/10/2013 1:48 PM, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> >
> >  answering my own question ...
> >>
> >> the problem seems to be this
> >>
> >>    https://www.illumos.org/**issues/3691<https://www.illumos.org/issues/3691>
> >>

> > I hadn't had a chance to reply to your original message yet, but I had
> > this exact problem under S10U10 ? as the ticket says, they switched to a
> > binary search for finding groups, but neglected to sort the groups 8-/.
> >
> > Unfortunately I guess Oracle took their toys home before their fix for
> > that found its way into OpenSolaris :(.
> >
> > I'll take a look at it, but my previous OI-based illumos dev environment
> > disappeared on me when we had a SAN failure at work, so I don't currently
> > have one. I really don't want to have to build another OI box, ideally I'd
> > like to start doing upstream illumos dev work under omnios. There's been
> > some talk of supporting that, but there's some base level of work that
> > needs to be done first...
> >
> > I'll check on the illumos dev list, that's a pretty nasty bug, maybe
> > somebody's already got a fix for it but hasn't pushed it back yet.
>

> If it is the "sort" and you're getting the data from setgroups.  I wrote a
> patch for that today, it came up on the samba-technical list.

no external application required ... (look at my original post). It
all can be reproduced directly on zfs using standard unix
command-line tools simply create a user with more than 16 group
memberships and then create one directory for each group and try to
access it ... for some of the directories you will get access
denied ...

cheers
tobi