[OmniOS-discuss] nfsv4 acls wtf moment

Sigbjorn Lie sigbjorn at nixtra.com
Fri May 10 12:01:08 EDT 2013

On 05/10/2013 05:08 PM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
> <mailto:natxo.asenjo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     hi Siggi,
>

>     On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Sigbjorn Lie <sigbjorn at nixtra.com
>     <mailto:sigbjorn at nixtra.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         Did you set aclmode to passthrough too?
>

>     no but I just tried it and the linux nfsv4 client still ignores
>     the inheritance:
>
>     # zfs get all tank/testshare | grep acl
>     tank/testshare  aclmode               passthrough local
>     tank/testshare  aclinherit            passthrough local
>

> following up, I found this: https://www.illumos.org/issues/3571
>
> and setting
>
> # zfs set aclmode=restricted tank/testshare
>
> seems to do the trick from the linux client side.
>
> I need to test it a bit further.

Hi,

I was testing this a while back and had similiar issues to you. I ended
up setting both aclmode and aclinherit to passtrough, and setting a
different ACL than what you've done.  I have pasted my setup below. This
allows access from both Linux and Windows to the same files, with access
mainly controlled by the LDAP group "ldap_group". Files created by nfs
clients also generate the owner@ group@ and everyone@, this has not been
an issue for me. Files can still be accessed from both Linux and Windows.

This is on NexentaStor, which is still not having support for
aclmode=restricted. It seem like aclmode=restricted would also do the
trick, from what I can read about aclmode=restricted.

NAME        PROPERTY    VALUE          SOURCE
p00/public  aclmode     passthrough    local
p00/public  aclinherit  passthrough    local

ls -lvd p00/public/
drwx--S---+ 12 root     root          21 May 10 17:38 p00/public/
      0:group:ldap_group:list_directory/read_data/add_file/write_data
/add_subdirectory/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr/execute
/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete/read_acl/synchronize
          :file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow
      1:user:root:list_directory/read_data/add_file/write_data
/add_subdirectory/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr/execute
/delete_child/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete/read_acl
/write_acl/write_owner/synchronize:file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow
      2:user:nfs:read_attributes/synchronize:allow

/usr/sun/bin/ls -lvd p00/public/created_linux.txt
-rw-r--r--+  1 sigbjorn root           0 May 10 17:40
p00/public/created_linux.txt
      0:group:ldap_group:read_data/write_data/append_data/read_xattr
/write_xattr/execute/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete
          /read_acl/synchronize:inherited:allow
1:user:root:read_data/write_data/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr
/execute/delete_child/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete
          /read_acl/write_acl/write_owner/synchronize:inherited:allow
2:owner@:read_data/write_data/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr
/read_attributes/write_attributes/read_acl/write_acl/write_owner
          /synchronize:allow
3:group@:read_data/read_xattr/read_attributes/read_acl/synchronize:allow
4:everyone@:read_data/read_xattr/read_attributes/read_acl/synchronize
          :allow

/ls -lvd p00/public/created_windows.txt
----------+  1 sigbjorn root           0 May 10 17:41
p00/public/created_windows.txt
      0:group:ldap_group:read_data/write_data/append_data/read_xattr
/write_xattr/execute/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete
          /read_acl/synchronize:inherited:allow
1:user:root:read_data/write_data/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr
/execute/delete_child/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete
          /read_acl/write_acl/write_owner/synchronize:inherited:allow

Regards,
Siggi