[OmniOS-discuss] nfsv4 acls wtf moment

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri May 10 19:28:16 EDT 2013

On 5/10/2013 8:08 AM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:

> # zfs set aclmode=restricted tank/testshare
>
> seems to do the trick from the linux client side.

The only possible problem with that is if a client is unhappy about the
error returned when trying to chmod.

It's on my to do list to add another mode (perhaps ignore) that behaves
exactly the same as restricted except that it does not generate errors,
it will nop the chmod and return success.

Is the Linux client explicitly calling chmod/setattr? There's an
unrelated issue with NFS where a client using exclusive open will result
in a broken ACL because of the way the mode bits are overloaded in the
NFS protocol for that operation. It's fixed in NFS 4.1, but there's no
4.1 support in illumos yet...