[OmniOS-discuss] nfsv4 acls wtf moment

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Sat May 11 03:12:43 EDT 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:

> On 5/10/2013 8:08 AM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
>
>  # zfs set aclmode=restricted tank/testshare
>>
>> seems to do the trick from the linux client side.
>>

> The only possible problem with that is if a client is unhappy about the
> error returned when trying to chmod.
>
> It's on my to do list to add another mode (perhaps ignore) that behaves
> exactly the same as restricted except that it does not generate errors, it
> will nop the chmod and return success.
>
> Is the Linux client explicitly calling chmod/setattr? There's an unrelated
> issue with NFS where a client using exclusive open will result in a broken
> ACL because of the way the mode bits are overloaded in the NFS protocol for
> that operation. It's fixed in NFS 4.1, but there's no 4.1 support in
> illumos yet...

I have straced the cp -r command with discard and restricted aclmode
settings (see attachments).

Unfortunately I am no programmer so I am not really sure if chmod/settr are
explicitly called - those strings are in any case not there when grepping
the file).

In my use case as long as the acl is respected, it is enough. The clients
should not be changing it.

Thanks,
--
groet,