[OmniOS-discuss] Overheating faults with ST4000NM0023

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Tue Apr 22 16:36:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Richard Elling <
richard.elling at richardelling.com> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2014, at 9:19 AM, Schweiss, Chip <chip at innovates.com> wrote:
>
> I suspecting these drives have self-destructed.
>
> Can anyone confirm this firmware issue causes the drives to permanently go
> offline?
>

> They are fine. FMA retires them, so you have to coerce the OS to
> reinstantiate them.
> In my case, they were in the lab, and we reinstall OSes continuously, so
> it wasn't a
> problem for us :-) You might have a look at cfgadm -al, and see if it is
> in a state that
> can be coerced... the docs are poor in this area :-( and this is not a
> frequent operation :-)
>  -- richard

After running devfsadm -C the device stubs aren't there anymore.   They
don't show up in 'cfgadm -al'

I can see them from the HBA BIOs.   So I'm still leaning towards the disk
are okay, but OmniOS refuses to talk to them.

So once 'retired', even marking the device repaired will not allow it to be
mounted?

-Chip