[OmniOS-discuss] Overheating faults with ST4000NM0023

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Wed Apr 23 18:06:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Saso Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> # sg_write_buffer -v --in=MegalodonES3-SAS-STD-0004.LOD \
>   --length=1625600 --mode=5 /dev/rdsk/c9t5000C500578F774Bd0
>     Write buffer cmd: 3b 05 00 00 00 00 18 ce 00 00
> ioctl(USCSICMD) failed with os_err (errno) = 22
> write buffer: pass through os error: Invalid argument
> Write buffer failed res=-1
>
> The situation is the same regardless of which path I disable. At the
> point of the sg_write_buffer, I also get a single SCSI error logged by
> "iostat -E", so it's clear there's something wrong going on on the SCSI
> bus. I suspect it might have something to do with what you mentioned,
> but I'm just no SCSI guru to figure this out.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Saso

Like I said I use Santools.  However, David Lethe, the author of Santools,
who was a great help to me in working through this, informed me that from
Solaris sg_write_buffer should be set to --mode-7 and possibly even set
--length to 16384.    I have not tested this.

For me Santools has been well worth it's investment on every ZFS server
I've deployed.

-Chip