[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS random freezes

Niels Goossens ngoossens at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 20:13:03 UTC 2014

Thank you Saso and Rob for your replies. I will answer what I can and
provide an update as well.

@Rob, With "freeze" I mean "hang". The system does not respond anymore. SSH
sessions are disconnected ("broken pipe"), pings show "destination host
unreachable". (IPMI) Console does not respond to key strokes. No freeze has
occurred after my previous post, so I do not know if numlock lights up - I
will make sure to test that.

Last night something happened - I noticed today that even though the system
is up, network connectivity is gone. More specifically, the only devices I
can ping are my Macbook (which has an ssh session open to the OmniOS
machine), the Netgear switch the Macbook is connected to, and the Netgear
switch that the OmniOs machine is connected to. In /var/adm/messages, I can
only find:

Jan  7 03:10:00 controller cron[8392]: [ID 574227 user.alert] Solaris_audit
getaddrinfo(controller) failed[node name or service name not known]: Error 0
Jan  7 03:30:00 controller cron[8393]: [ID 574227 user.alert] Solaris_audit
getaddrinfo(controller) failed[node name or service name not known]: Error 0
So that's a cron job gone wrong because it cannot reach the network I
guess. My next action will be to first yank the Intel PCIe NIC.

@Saso, thanks for the great advice on how to test memory and the zfs pool!
I will look into those next.

Kind regards,

Niels