[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS random freezes

Niels Goossens ngoossens at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 21:43:43 UTC 2014

An update on the hangs that are occurring on my OmniOS install. First of
all, it takes up to a day for a hang to occur, so that explains why it took
some time for me to post this update..

First I removed the second ethernet card. This had no effect, the machine
still hangs.

After that I ran memtest+ for a few hours: no errors were found.

Finally, I filled the zpool with /dev/urandom generated files, then started
scrub. This resulted in a hang shortly after the scrub started! After a
reboot scrub does complete with no errors (scan: scrub repaired 24K in
2h36m with 0 errors).

Iostat -E shows illegal requests. I have a Supermicro (X9SCM-F) motherboard
with 6 sata ports, out of which 1 is used for the boot drive and the other
5 are used for a 5x1tb zfs1 pool. All show pretty much the same amount of
illegal requests:

# iostat -E | grep Illegal
Illegal Request: 54 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
Illegal Request: 53 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
Illegal Request: 53 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
Illegal Request: 53 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
Illegal Request: 53 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
Illegal Request: 52 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

This leads me to believe there is an issue with the onboard SATA controller
- before I started the scrub I had 5 illegal requests... I also managed to
find something remarkably similar on the SmartOS mailing list (
http://www.kdump.cn/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=3519).

These illegal requests started appearing recently, and the only thing I’ve
done is upgrade to OmniOS r151008 (from r151006). Now this could be pure
coincidence, so my next step is install r151006 and just test, I guess.

What would be the best way to downgrade from 151008 to 151006?

Niels Goossens