[OmniOS-discuss] the right card for a server

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 23:48:08 UTC 2014

> Hello,
>
> you need a Riser-Card (RSC-RR1U-E8) too.
>
> Take a look at Supermicro add-on Cards:
> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/accessories/index.cfm
>
> There you can find a 4 Port Intel Nic
> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/accessories/addon/AOC-UG-i4.cfm

I appreciate that you are trying to help, Alexandre, but there are two
points that I find puzzling in your advice.

Firstly that I've never seen any other reference to needing a riser for a
PCI card.  SAS, yes;   PCI, no.

Secondly, Supermicro's own compatibility matrix for the product, at
http://www.supermicro.nl/support/resources/AOC/UIO_AOC_Compatibility.cfm ,
excludes the NIC you mention from my hardware;  it is a full-height card
and the 5017C-LF only accommodates low-profile.

Michael.