[OmniOS-discuss] the right card for a server

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 00:02:07 UTC 2014

On 1/9/14, 11:48 PM, Michael Mounteney wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> you need a Riser-Card (RSC-RR1U-E8) too.
>>
>> Take a look at Supermicro add-on Cards:
>> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/accessories/index.cfm
>>
>> There you can find a 4 Port Intel Nic
>> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/accessories/addon/AOC-UG-i4.cfm
>
> I appreciate that you are trying to help, Alexandre, but there are two
> points that I find puzzling in your advice.
>
> Firstly that I've never seen any other reference to needing a riser for a
> PCI card.  SAS, yes;   PCI, no.

Of course you need a riser. How else do you think the card's gonna make
that turn from vertical to horizontal to fit in that chassis? PCI risers
are simply (most commonly) passive mechanical adapters that allow you to
route PCI ports to other physical locations within the chassis.

And SAS risers? Never of that. Don't you mean expanders?

> Secondly, Supermicro's own compatibility matrix for the product, at
> http://www.supermicro.nl/support/resources/AOC/UIO_AOC_Compatibility.cfm ,
> excludes the NIC you mention from my hardware;  it is a full-height card
> and the 5017C-LF only accommodates low-profile.

Interesting, because from the pictures it *looks* like a full-height
slot. But yeah, if it's low-profile-only, then you'd wanna get something
that fits into low-profile (like the I350-T4: http://tinyurl.com/ncwa92s )

--
Saso