[OmniOS-discuss] the right card for a server

Matthew Frazer mattfrazer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 00:46:16 UTC 2014

I think the confusion is partly on supermicro. The manual for the server
states:
The 5017C-LF includes a CSE-RR1U-E8 riser card. This riser fits into a PCI
slot
to support a full-height, half-length PCI Express expansion card. (The
riser card
provides a PCI-E x8 signal

Which appears to be at odds with the spec sheet that states:

   - 1x PCI-E 3.0* x8 Low-profile slot

It certainly looks like a full height slot but the spec sheet also states
2x2.5" bays maximum where the manual states 4x2.5". I can't see how 4x2.5"
is possible with a full height card, so it's entirely possible that all the
above statements are true depending on the how you order it. You'll need a
reseller or someone with direct experience to be sure.

-mjf

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Saso Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/9/14, 11:48 PM, Michael Mounteney wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> you need a Riser-Card (RSC-RR1U-E8) too.
> >>
> >> Take a look at Supermicro add-on Cards:
> >> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/accessories/index.cfm
> >>
> >> There you can find a 4 Port Intel Nic
> >> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/accessories/addon/AOC-UG-i4.cfm
> >
> > I appreciate that you are trying to help, Alexandre, but there are two
> > points that I find puzzling in your advice.
> >
> > Firstly that I've never seen any other reference to needing a riser for a
> > PCI card.  SAS, yes;   PCI, no.
>
> Of course you need a riser. How else do you think the card's gonna make
> that turn from vertical to horizontal to fit in that chassis? PCI risers
> are simply (most commonly) passive mechanical adapters that allow you to
> route PCI ports to other physical locations within the chassis.
>
> And SAS risers? Never of that. Don't you mean expanders?
>
> > Secondly, Supermicro's own compatibility matrix for the product, at
> > http://www.supermicro.nl/support/resources/AOC/UIO_AOC_Compatibility.cfm,
> > excludes the NIC you mention from my hardware;  it is a full-height card
> > and the 5017C-LF only accommodates low-profile.
>
> Interesting, because from the pictures it *looks* like a full-height
> slot. But yeah, if it's low-profile-only, then you'd wanna get something
> that fits into low-profile (like the I350-T4: http://tinyurl.com/ncwa92s )
>
> --
> Saso

It is in love that we are made, in love we disappear.
-Leonard Cohen