[OmniOS-discuss] Running OmniOS under KVM

J David j.david.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 01:52:06 UTC 2014

Hello all,

While attempting to try out OmniOS as a KVM guest (on a Debian host),
I've run into a weird snag.  Unfortunately my Solaris experience dates
back to when it came from a company called Sun so I'm kind of at a
loss.

It seems that there is some problem with the KVM VGA console.  Most
alphanumeric keys work fine but navigation keys, like the arrows keys
or backspace, appear to auto-repeat so that e.g. one press of
backspace will delete the entire line, and one press of left or right
arrow will go all the way to the beginning or end of the line,
respectively.  This is true both before and after installation.

There are a couple of different approaches that would solve this.  One
would be to figure out how to fix this problem.  The other would be to
find a way to install OmniOS from the ISO image using a serial
console, which is a lot easier for us to work with anyway.

This was all using the latest stable release ISO (r151008j), but when
I last tried it a few months ago, it was the same.

Thanks for any advice!