[OmniOS-discuss] Set locale in zone

Christian Flaig christian.flaig at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 11:35:26 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm still on r15006, will migrate/re-install soon.
I've created a new zone, and can't set the locale from "C" to "en_GB.UTF-8" for that zone. The global zone has this setting, but I haven't found out how to configure it (in non-global zone) or where it is configured (global zone).

I've tried the following:
(1) /etc/default/init
According to several instructions on the web, this is the place where I should put my locale configuration. I can define all the variables, but the system doesn't take them (command "locale" still shows "C"). A comment in the OpenIndiana Wiki mentions somethings about facets in SVC though (see 2).
(2) Facets
I read about the new way of setting locale in Solaris 11, and thought it might work the same way in OmniOS now. So I did "pkg facet", couldn't find my locale setting (GB) and enabled it with "pkg change-facet 'facet.locale.en_GB=True' ".
But then the Solaris docs mention a svc service to be adjusted, and that one is not available on OmniOS it seems (at least not in a default installation): svccfg -s svc:/system/environment:init setprop
environment/LANG = astring: en_GB.UTF-8

I'm still puzzled that I can't find where to configure this. I did a search on my locale on /etc in my global zone (where it's correctly configured), but couldn't find anything.

Thanks alot for your help.

Chris