[OmniOS-discuss] Set locale in zone

Lauri Tirkkonen lotheac at iki.fi
Wed Jan 29 13:37:58 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:35:26 +0100, Christian Flaig wrote:
> I'm still on r15006, will migrate/re-install soon.
> I've created a new zone, and can't set the locale from "C" to
> "en_GB.UTF-8" for that zone. The global zone has this setting, but I
> haven't found out how to configure it (in non-global zone) or where it
> is configured (global zone).
>
> I've tried the following:
> (1) /etc/default/init
> According to several instructions on the web, this is the place where
> I should put my locale configuration. I can define all the variables,
> but the system doesn't take them (command "locale" still shows "C").

This works for me. You probably need to restart the zone for changes to
take effect though. Tested as follows:

    # pargs -e $(pgrep -z kekkonen svc.startd)
    5193:       /lib/svc/bin/svc.startd
    envp[0]: _=*5088*/lib/svc/bin/svc.startd
    envp[1]: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    envp[2]: LC_TIME=C
    envp[3]: PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    envp[4]: PWD=/