[OmniOS-discuss] Illumos and Infiniband

Ian Kaufman ikaufman at eng.ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 29 19:06:36 UTC 2014

I use OminOS and IB, and ran into the ConnectX-3 driver issues as we
were moving towards interfaces that can use QDR, FDR, 10GbE, or 40GbE,
depending on drivers and fabric. We had to go back to ConnectX-2 QDR
to get it all working. I was able to hack things to at least get the
NIC identified, but obviously the drivers were not there.

I was contemplating building OFED from source, but I don't have the time.

Ian

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Saso Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/29/14, 6:38 PM, Chris Zembower wrote:
>> Please don't lecture me on the merits of 10GbE/FC over Infiniband, I've
>> heard it all. :-)
>
> You're not alone in your appreciation of IB's brute strength. As for why
> stuff isn't happening, my guess is lack of manpower - we're a really
> small community and people work on what they like, plus what they can
> get their hands on (and IB gear is a little exotic). That being said,
> I'd love to have a mature and up-to-date IB stack on Illumos that could
> be used in production. It's sorely needed.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Saso

Ian Kaufman
Research Systems Administrator
UC San Diego, Jacobs School of Engineering ikaufman AT ucsd DOT edu