[OmniOS-discuss] Migrating from OpenIndiana

Kevin Swab Kevin.Swab at ColoState.EDU
Fri Jan 31 17:54:32 UTC 2014

We recently did this on 18 of our storage servers, and the process went
smoothly, no issues were encountered.  Our setup sounds similar to
yours:  The OI 151a7 systems were serving LUNs over FC via Comstar.
The root pools were mirrored, and each system had at least one other
pool for data (zvols backing the Comstar LUNs).

I set up a Kayak server which makes the install process go much faster
(and minimizes downtime), but it's not necessary to get the job done.

The steps we followed were something like this:

- Save the Comstar config:

	svccfg export -a stmf > svccfg-stmf.xml

  I put the XML file in one of the data pools so it would be easy to
access from the new OmniOS install.

- save any other files you care about from the root pool

- break off one of the mirrored root pool devices to use for the OmniOS
install

- Install OmniOS onto the free device and boot.

- Import the data pools.  I didn't export them from the old OI install
first, so '-f' was needed on the 'zpool import' command

- Restore the Comstar config:

	svccfg import svccfg-stmf.xml

At this point you should be up and running on your OmniOS install, with
the old OpenIndiana install still available on the other root pool disk.

Once you feel confident things are working and you don't need to fall
back to the old OS, remirror the root pool and upgrade the data pools.

The total time the systems were unavailable for the upgrade was about
10-15 minutes.  Did I mention Kayak was fast? :-)

Good luck with your upgrades,
Kevin