[OmniOS-discuss] SMB + Network tuning

Anh Quach anhquach at me.com
Fri Jan 31 23:07:38 UTC 2014

Hi all, new to the list.. apologies if this is a tired topic..

I’m seeing poor SMB performance on my gigabit network here, as compared to a Synology filer. With the Synology, my test client can read/write consistently at near line speeds (100MB/s+), while with the OmniOS test filer, I can’t seem to get above 60MB/s.

I’ve tried the usual TCP tuning of buffers, ack, and such, to no avail. NFS seems to yield about the same results.

Some details:

- Server: HP Proliant, DL360 G5, 16GB RAM
- OS: tested with both latest OmniOS + Solaris 11.1, with and without Napp-it, same results
- NIC: bnx
- storage: Xyratex JBOD, SAS
- zpool: 2 x 6 disk raidz2

I’m getting hundreds of MB/s off the zpool, so I’m thinking the bottleneck has to be something in the Samba or NIC driver config.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

--
Anh Quach
Sent with Airmail