[OmniOS-discuss] [OmniOS] Two problem for set a zfs dataset in a zone

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jan 31 17:09:23 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-31 01:35, Frédéric Alix wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I have two problem for use a zfs dataset in a zone.
>
> First, i would like use it as a device
>
> zfs create -V5g rpool/data0
> In zonecfg:
> add device
> set match = "/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/data0"
> end
>
> I boot the zone, and the device don't appear.

I do have a similar setup on one box, albeit on a SPARC Solaris 10
for a Solaris 8 branded zone (evacuation of an older server to newer
hardware), and the zone manifest (/etc/zones/zonename.xml) contains:

<device match="/dev/zvol/rdsk/pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1"/>

The volume has no special properties set:

# zfs list -r pool/zones/local/colonel-data
NAME                                        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
pool/zones/local/colonel-data              1.25G  16.1G  31.4K
/zones/local/colonel-data
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1       1.25G  16.4G   331M  -

zfs get all pool/zones/local/colonel-data/infx-chunk1
NAME                                       PROPERTY               VALUE
                  SOURCE
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  type                   volume
             -
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  creation               Mon Nov 25
  8:32 2013  -
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  used                   1.25G
             -
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  available              16.4G
             -
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  referenced             331M
             -
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  compressratio          4.92x
             -
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  reservation            none
             default
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  volsize                2.05G
             -
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  volblocksize           8K
             -
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  checksum               on
             default
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  compression            gzip-9
             inherited from pool/zones/local
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  readonly               off
             default
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  shareiscsi             off
             default
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  copies                 1
             default
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  refreservation         300M
             local
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  primarycache           all
             default
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  secondarycache         all
             default
pool/zones/local/colonel-data/chunk1  com.sun:auto-snapshot  true
             inherited from pool

In particular, the "zoned" property is "off" on both the volume and
its higher containers.

This setup works, despite the fact that the branded Solaris 8 image
has of course no direct support for ZFS, so delegation of datasets
was not an option (either devices, or lofs-mounts, from the GZ into
LZ should have worked and did in fact work).

Now, this is indeed a different OS, but the basics like this should
be the same. Try starting "zlogin -C zonename" before booting the
zone, this may log something about some errors that may be in the way?

HTH,
//Jim