[OmniOS-discuss] usb hid ups monitoring

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Jun 2 03:29:25 UTC 2014

So I've got an older APC Smart-UPS 1500 which I'd like to monitor from
omnios via usb. I plugged it into one of my linux boxes just to verify
how it presented the usb interface, and NUT said:

driver = "usbhid-ups"
        port = "auto"
        vendorid = "051D"
        productid = "0002"
        product = "Smart-UPS 1500 RM FW:617.3.D USB FW:1.5"
        serial = "AS0411320933"
        vendor = "TRIPP LITE"
        bus = "002"

So I believe NUT should support it with the standard hid driver. I went
looking for how to setup usb ups support under omnios, and didn't find
too much. Most of the results for Solaris talk about forcing the device
to use the ugen driver rather than the hid driver, but I found some
posts on the NUT mailing list saying that's not really needed anymore,
and you should be able to monitor it as a hid device.

At this point, I've got it plugged in, and it shows up as:

usb3/1.2                       usb-input    connected    unconfigured ok

usb3/1.2                       connected    unconfigured ok         Mfg:
American Power Conversion  Product: Smart-UPS 1500 RM FW:617.3.D USB
FW:1.5  NConfigs: 1  Config: 0  : 1

It looks like it's connecting as a HID device, although it's showing up
as unconfigured. I haven't installed NUT yet, so maybe it will be as
simple as running it and the device will be automagically configured and
start working ;). But while I'm spinning up NUT, I wanted to see if
there was any more up to date advice on how to monitor a usb hid type
ups under omnios.

Thanks...