[OmniOS-discuss] usb hid ups monitoring

Denis Cheong denis at denisandyuki.net
Mon Jun 2 09:39:58 UTC 2014

The principal benefit of ethernet is that you avoid all the driver / port
issues (at the expense of, as Paul said, the risk that your switch goes
down before the server / UPS and you lose connectivity - if it is not on
the same UPS).

USB support can be tricky in OmniOS - it obviously doesn't support
everything and is more likely to have issues that are difficult to diagnose
/ rectify.

Serial support may be fine, but a hacked-together cable like that is
obviously not production-ready.  The UPSs come included with a cable, but
if it's been lost then a standard straight-through serial cable is not a
drop-in replacement (although they can be found on ebay easily enough).
Also, these days very few motherboards come with RS232 onboard - and USB to
serial adapters pretty much suck; there are so many that have tiny
differences in their chipsets that they frequently don't work (this is
especially troublesome on Windows but I have not tried it in OmniOS - where
support may also be limited).