[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: Help setting up a boot server

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Tue Jun 24 10:54:55 UTC 2014

-----Michael Mounteney <gate03 at landcroft.co.uk> skrev: -----
Till: Johan Kragsterman <johan.kragsterman at capvert.se>
Från: Michael Mounteney <gate03 at landcroft.co.uk>
Datum: 2014-06-24 12:47
Ärende: Re: Ang: [OmniOS-discuss] Help setting up a boot server

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:20:49 +0200
Johan Kragsterman <johan.kragsterman at capvert.se> wrote:

> You can of coarse use the omnios dhcp/tftp servers, but why not use
> PXE? Isn't that easier than etherboot?

That's information of the sort I require.  I was under the impression
that:

(1) PXE is the protocol built into the firmware of the client's network
interface, that talks DHCP and TFTP to bootstrap the client.
(2) etherboot is a wrapper of some sort for the client's kernel that is
needed because the kernel has been loaded via PXE, e.g., to provide a
standard entry-point accessible to PXE.

So as the thin client has PXE, it seems that etherboot isn't required.
Good, thanks.

Thanks also to Naxto for his notes dump.  I'm using them now.

Michael.

Also, I think you can benefit from the ubuntu LTSP documentation, which is very comprehensive. I believe it is a lot you can use there:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP

Rgrds Johan