[OmniOS-discuss] omnios (and solaris) need special keyboards?

Hugh McIntyre lists at mcintyreweb.com
Thu Jun 26 15:26:13 UTC 2014

On 6/24/14 10:04 PM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> do solaris derived operating systems need special keyboards?

You should not need a special keyboard.

> at the moment, my backspace and delete keys are interchanged?
> they work just fine with other unix-like operating systems.

What does "stty" or "stty -a" say (on both OmniOS and the other Unix
OS)?  In particular is there a definition for "erase"?  (e.g. "erase
^h").  If there's a difference, try setting OmniOS to the same setting
(e.g. "stty erase ^h").

Also, if you type Ctrl-V Backspace or Ctrl-V Delete, what do you see on
the terminal?

Having said that, an OmniOS physical console works for me, with
Backspace deleting to the left, and DEL deleting to the right when in
the middle of text, or to the left if at end of line.  And no definition
for "stty erase" on the console.  This is with a very ancient and
non-standard Memorex keyboard from 1998 ...

Hugh.