[OmniOS-discuss] Bug: OmniOS r151008j terminates iSCSI initiator too early in shutdown

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Mar 8 21:31:16 UTC 2014

| On 2014-03-07 21:49, Chris Siebenmann wrote:
| >   In at least OmniOS r151008j, the iSCSI initiator and thus any iSCSI
| > disks it has established are shut down relatively early during a shutdown
| > or reboot. In specific they are terminated before halt et al runs
| > '/sbin/bootadm -ea update_all' (in halt.c's do_archives_update()).
| > Under some circumstances this will cause system shutdown to hang.
[...]
| >   Presumably either bootadm should be run earlier or iSCSI initiator
| > shutdown should happen later or both.
|
| I guess you can control the order of shutdown procedures with
| SMF dependencies. In particular, it might be helpful to ensure
| that your system completely exports the remote-hosted pools
| before disabling iSCSI (and possibly networking, etc.).

 Unfortunately exporting pools on shutdown is an ugly and potentially
fragile workaround with a number of side effects (and one that was not
necessary on Solaris 10).

 As far as I can tell from simply looking at things right now, even
an orderly shutdown on an OmniOS system will not avoid this. I don't see
anything that inactivates pools[*] or even unmounts ZFS filesystems even
in an orderly shutdown. And SMF shutdown procedures are deliberately
bypassed if you just run 'reboot' (it's in the manpage if you read all
the way to the end and ignore the fact that it doesn't talk about SMF).

	- cks
[*: partly because there is no user-level way to do this as far as I
    know. Explicitly exporting a pool is a different thing.]