[OmniOS-discuss] Networking Performance Tips on HP Microserver N40L ?

Svavar Örn Eysteinsson svavar at januar.is
Wed Mar 26 15:47:51 UTC 2014

Hello people.
I recently installed my first true NAS box at home, which is a HP
Microserver N40L
with 16GB in RAM, 1x250GB for OS and 4x 2TB Enterprise SATA disks provided
by HP in a RAIDZ.

I'm using the newest/updated OmniOS v11 r151008 and also Napp-it and other
services.
What I would like to know is, have there been any issues/problems and do
people
have some performance tuning tips regarding networking issues on the BC5723
controller provided
by the HP Microserver ? It's the bge module/driver ?

Sometimes I find the speeds to the BOX will rock up & down. I haven't
configured
a gigabit network, thats on the plan this weekend. I have full-duplex and
flowctrl enabled.
For an example, I noticed after building my small ipf firewall rules and
enabled the firewall
the speed did go down, specially with CIFS and NFS(didn't test the AFP).

So, any performance tips out there ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Svavar O - Reykjavik - Iceland