[OmniOS-discuss] Strange issue with OmniOS installation

Lawrence Giam paladinemishakal at gmail.com
Tue May 6 06:51:21 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I have a SuperMicro SSG-2026T-DE2R24L with X8DTS-F-2U motherboard connected
to an external chassis with JBOD  and I have the following disks:
Main Chassis:
1. HDD Bay 0 - Toshiba 600GB SAS HDD
2. HDD Bay 1 to 9 - Seagate 1TB SAS HDD
External Chassis:
1. HDD Bay 0 - Seagate Pulsar.2 100GB SAS SSD
2. HDD Bay 1 - Seagate Pulsar.2 200GB SAS SSD
3. HDD Bay 2 - 12 - Seagate 1TB SAS HDD

I booted the server and using IPMI, I was trying to install OmniOS r151008j
and I am unable to see the 600GB SAS HDD in the installer GUI at the
section where the system search for disks to install the OS. The installer
can see all the other disks except the 600GB disk.

I dropped to the shell and using format, the system is able to detect and
show me the 600GB disk. Going back to the installer and tried again, still
cannot see.

In the end, I have to remove all the disks and left only the 600GB disk in
the system, boot to OmniOS installer and it can see the disk and also able
to install.

I would like to know if anybody experience this?

Also another thing I want to brought up is that the installer GUI, if I
have several disks of the same kind and size, it is almost impossible to
identify which one as the installer cannot display the full disk ID.

Examples of what I see in the installer:
Disk 1: c4t5000C5
Disk 2: c4t5000C5
Disk 3: c4t5000C5

The actual disk ID when using "format" or "iostat -En":
Disk 1: c4t5000C50057E39C5Fd0
Disk 2: c4t5000C50057E65663d0
Disk 3: c4t5000C50057E765A7d0

Is there a way for the installer to display the full disk ID?

Thanks & Regards.